Here we go, week 2!
Hope you are ready to warm up your practice just a little bit more.
This week I have chosen mediation for our warm up series. It is always important to start gently with patience to warm up. Moving quickly into a strong asana practice can sometimes be over whelming and, especially during winter, can be difficult for our body to endure. We don’t want to feel anxious by the challenge, we want it to feel natural and like we are coming home.
So this weeks challenge is all about warming up our minds before we engage our bodies. Finding the positive space and clearing our minds will lay the foundation for us to flow with ease through our physical practice.
For this week, your challenge includes a daily 5-10 minute mediation practice before your asana practice.
Writing in your yoga journal your intentions and some self love rituals to help keep the mind settled and strong.
Using longer inhale and exhale techniques during your asana practice can help you stay clear and focused. We are aiming for stillness of the mind and your body to move and flow with ease and quietness.
Surya namaskar is a good sequence to follow to help you practice your exhales and inhales whilst moving your body. Here is a link of one example of a sun salute you might like to try.
Another way to help you go within, is to create a mandala. A beautiful piece of art made from silence. You can follow Sarah’s Handmade Wonderland Mindful Mandala a Month Challenge.
- Create the space, A quiet, warm, inviting place just for you. Could be anywhere, even in your car if you have parked ready for work. A place where you can just breathe.
- Come to sitting either in seated lotus or a comfortable easy crossed legs. Alternatively, A comfortable position with a long spine, relaxed shoulders and chin slightly tucked in.
- Close the eyes and start to become aware of your breath. You can even do a little body scan to check in with how you are feeling today.
- Start to lengthen the breathe and continue to follow it.
- Thoughts might start to appear, so greet them with a smile, then put them to the back of the mind. Tell yourself that this is ok and you will get to them later. Return to the inhalations and exhalations of the breath.
- You can now add affirmations or mantras. For example inhale love, exhale peace or the om mantra.
When you feel ready bring the breathe back to its natural state, bring your awareness back to the world and give yourself a secret smile.
- Yoga Mat
- Yoga Journal
- Candle / Incense / Alter
- Affirmation cards or Mantras
- The Rainbow Yogis 30 minute yoga sequence or practice of your own choice.
Step Two – A Daily Yoga Practise
This 30min practise has been design to be accessible to Adult beginners, teens and children, so everyone can get involved. If you have another practise that you prefer over this one, please feel free to do that instead. So long as you’re getting at the least 20mins of yoga a day.
Here are some extra mindfulness blog posts for you and your little yogis to extend your challenge:
Please share with us photos of your meditation experiences every day this week. Help keep us motivated.
Good luck! 🙂